Vision and Mission
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) is the not-for-profit professional association created by massage therapists for massage therapists.
The mission of AMTA is to develop and advance the art, science and practice of massage therapy in a caring, professional and ethical manner to promote the health and welfare of humanity.
To serve its members, the public and the profession, the AMTA pursues the following goals:
- To establish massage therapy as integral to the maintenance of good health.
- To increase public awareness of the massage therapy profession.
- To promote high standards in providing massage therapy to the public.
- To increase access to quality massage therapy for all persons.
- To be an influential member of the health care community.
- To be a leader and a resource for issues in the field of massage therapy including: definitions; practice and education standards; legislation and regulation.
- To enhance the professional development and personal growth of members.
- To continue AMTA’s growth, development, organizational effectiveness and visibility.
- In pursuit of the above goals, AMTA will be guided by the values of care and competency.
AMTA has 51 active Chapters throughout the United States that support LMTs by advocating in state legislatures and providing regular, low-cost continuing education, networking and volunteer opportunities.
Chapters are managed by a volunteer Board of Directors who establish a budget and set priorities for state activities.
AMTA OREGON CHAPTER ACTIVITIES INCLUDE:
- Conducting quarterly public Board meetings as well as an Annual State Convention.
- Providing regular continuing education, networking and volunteer opportunities for Chapter Members and LMTs throughout the state of Oregon.
- Engaging a professional lobbyist (approx. $20,000 fee per year) to advocate on behalf of Oregon Chapter Members and LMTs.
- Conducting Scope of Practice meetings around the State of Oregon.
- Publishing a quarterly newsletter and maintaining archived newsletters and other useful resources and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining our organization’s website, email communications and social media presences to provide current news and information about upcoming events to members.
- Sending delegates and numerous Board members to the annual AMTA National Convention to represent Oregon Chapter Members and LMTs.
- Presenting special awards and professional recognition to AMTA Oregon Chapter Members and other supporters of our profession.
- Awarding professional grants and scholarships.
For information about becoming a member of AMTA and the AMTA Oregon Chapter, please see our Membership Benefits & Information page here.